(Why we collect your personal data and what we do with it)
When you supply your personal details to this clinic they are stored and processed for 4 reasons (the bits in bold are the relevant terms used in the Data protection Act 2018, which includes the General Data Protection Regulation) .
- We need to collect personal information about your health in order to provide you with the best possible treatment. Your requesting treatment and our agreement to provide that care constitutes a contract. You can, of course, refuse to provide the information, but if you were to do that we would not be able to provide treatment.
- We have a “Legitimate Interest” in collecting that information, because without it we couldn’t do our job effectively and safely.
- We also think that it is important that we can contact you in order to confirm your appointments with us or to update you on matters related to your medical care. This again constitutes “Legitimate Interest”, but this time it is your legitimate interest.
- Provided we have your consent, we may occasionally send you general health information in the form of articles, advice or newsletters. You may withdraw this consent at any time – just let us know by any convenient method.
We have a legal obligation to retain your records for 8 years after your most recent appointment (or age 25, if this is longer), but after this period your records will be securely disposed of.
Records which this clinic holds about you may include the following information:
- Details about you, such as your address, contact details & appointments.
- Health information including, medical history, previous investigations and details of you or your child’s treatment.
Contact details are held electronically and health records are held on paper. We use a combination of working practices, physical security and technology to ensure your information is kept confidential and secure
Now the Active Health Centre has closed, only the data controller will have routine access to your data (in order to handle information requests and disposal of data as appropriate).
We only ever pass on information about you to others, if there is a genuine need for it and you have given your consent. This may be your GP, dentist or other health care professionals, a solicitor or for court proceedings.
We will not disclose any information about you to any third party without your written permission or in case of a child’s information the parental consent, unless there are exceptional circumstances (i.e. life or death situations), where the law requires information to be passed on.
You have a right under the General Data Protection Rules 2018 to request access to view or obtain copies of what information The Active Health Centre holds about you and to have it amended should it be inaccurate. Requests for access need to be made to our Data Controller via email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
It is important that you tell us if any of your details such as your name or address have changed or if any of your details such as date of birth is incorrect in order for us to correct it.
We want you to be absolutely confident that we are treating your personal data responsibly, and that we are doing everything we can to make sure that the only people who can access that data have a genuine need to do so.
Of course, if you feel that we are mishandling your personal data in some way, you have the right to complain. Complaints need to be sent to our Data Controller by email to email@example.com. If you are not satisfied with our response, then you have the right to raise the matter with the Information Commissioner’s Office.